Burdock StewKaren Stephenson September 3, 2013
From the Vitality Food Feature ‘The Culinary Adventure of Wild Autumn Harvests‘.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1-½ cups sliced onions
- 2 (local) garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup burdock root chopped fine
- 1 cup carrot cut into 1” pieces
- 1 cup celery cut into 1” pieces
- 4 cups mushrooms
- 3 medium unpeeled sweet potatoes cut into 1” chunks
- 3 fresh tomatoes chopped finely
- 2 cups cooked lima beans
- 1 8oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp each: thyme, salt, pepper, and turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup red wine
1) Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; then add onions, garlic, burdock, carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
2) Cook and stir frequently for ten minutes. Add a little more coconut oil if needed.
3) Add remaining ingredients except the flour, ¼ cup water and the wine.
4) Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer one half hour or until the vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally as they are cooking.
5) In a small bowl slowly stir flour into ¼ cup water until smooth.
6) Add to the stew with the wine; cook and stir 5 minutes. Then serve.
Karen Stephenson is a writer, author, public speaker, and wild food educator. She has studied herbal pharmacy, nutrition, and shares her knowledge with those who attend her edible plant walks. She often speaks about the chemicals used in processed foods and how they affect health. To find out more visit http://www.ediblewildfood.com